These criteria outlined in the Values-Based Checklist are intended to:
- bring recognition to Social Firms that meet all of the essential values, enabling them to effectively communicate their status within the sector;
- assist those groups working towards being Social Firms to understand clearly which elements are important;
- assist funders, stakeholders, trustees, carers and those seeking to work within Social Firms to understand the model more clearly, enabling them to have realistic expectations and support as appropriate;
- safeguard the reputation and credibility of the Sector and understanding that Social Firms are good quality businesses and supportive workplaces. This may lead to organisations that neither meet, nor intend to meet, these criteria, to use more appropriate terminology;
- assist support agencies e.g. Business Links, enterprise support agencies, co-operative development agencies and independent business advisors or consultants to understand the characteristics and support requirements of Social Firms.
Author: Social Firms